Co-founded by Nuance Healthcare, the Imaging e-Ordering Coalition is an alliance of leading healthcare providers, technology companies, and diagnostic imaging organizations aimed at interacting proactively with policymakers and healthcare providers on certain issues related to imaging services. In particular, the Coalition advocates the use of electronic decision support technologies that give clinicians guidance regarding the ordering of patient-appropriate imaging services.
How Nuance makes a difference
- Easier and faster access to clinical guidelines
- Proven to reduce unnecessary imaging and its costs
- Better accountability through outcomes analysis
- Offers a more cost effective solution
- Provides a more efficient process
- Adds value to the EHR/CPOE
Members of the Coalition devote their energies to educating policy makers and healthcare providers about the patient-centered efficiencies of e-Ordering, as well as recommending to lawmakers that incentives for e-Prescribing medications electronically include diagnostic imaging e-Ordering solutions.
A variety of active legislative and regulatory proposals attempt to address utilization of imaging services for publicly subsidized programs such as Medicare and Medicaid. The Coalition focuses on the following components and has achieved measured progress within each:
- Promote existing HIT legislative concepts to inform policy makers on the value of e-Ordering to enable the appropriate use of imaging.
- Ask lawmakers to include e-Ordering in the development of healthcare system efficiency incentives.
- Act as a resource for the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) on its Medicare Imaging Demonstration Project established by Congress in Section 135(b) of the Medicare Improvements for Patients and Providers Act of 2008 (MIPPA).
- Work with policy makers to have the Coalition’s e-Ordering proposal for CMS scored to validate long-term value and savings for the healthcare industry.
- Work with stakeholders to establish standards to accelerate e-Ordering as a meaningful and valuable application with EHRs.